This article guides in how you can upgrade your OutSystems Platform to a new major or minor version. You'll be able to assess the upgrade process, understand its impacts, and plan it accordingly.
Before you start
To learn more about a specific release, check the What's New document for that version:
To assess the impact an upgrade to a new major version may have in your applications, check the Side Effects and Breaking Changes documents:
- Side Effects and Breaking Changes in OutSystems 11
- Side Effects and Breaking Changes in OutSystems 10
- Side Effects and Breaking Changes in Platform 9.1
- Side Effects and Breaking Changes in Platform 9
- Side Effects and Breaking Changes in Version 8
- Side Effects and Breaking Changes in Version 7.0
(see also: Migrating Enterprise Manager to the New Application Security Model)
- Side Effects and Breaking Changes in Version 6.0
Be sure to read all the documents that might impact your upgrade. For example, if you're upgrading from OutSystems Platform 8 to 10, read the breaking changes for the versions 9, 9.1, and 10.
Upgrading an environment or a set of environments to a new OutSystems Platform major release should always follow the staging lifecycle of the applications in that infrastructure. If your infrastructure has a dedicated Management Console (Lifetime) environment, then you first need to upgrade that environment, otherwise, just upgrade each environment by the order of your staging procedures. Most of our customers upgrade their environments in the same order they push their developments to Production, for example:
Development > Testing > Pre-Production > Production
But you have the freedom to choose the order that is most convenient to you and your customers. Sometimes, to best coordinate with the development teams and on-going projects, one can start with other non-production environment (.e.g., pre-production) to fully validate the applications upgrade, and then upgrade the Production environment. Only after, upgrade of the Development environment according to the development teams delivery sprints. Bottom line is, you should always upgrade and test your applications in a non-production environment before proceeding to production environment.
The overall process of upgrading an OutSystems Platform environment is:
- Upgrade the Platform Server of the environment;
- Upgrade the development tools (Development client tools in the downloads page) of developers who publish applications in the environment;
- Republish all modules according to one of the following scenarios.
A) When performing an upgrade to a new major version, do the following:
- If you are upgrading a development environment, republish all modules to update them, so they use the corrections and improvements from the new version. Typically, a solution with all the extensions and eSpaces should be used in Service Center to update all modules at once.
- In non-development environments, it's unadvised to republish all modules. Instead, it's recommended to stage the solution from a previously upgraded environment. In the previous environment, download the solution using Service Center and publish it in the new environment, ensuring that you do not overwrite System Components.
B) When performing an update to a new minor version, do the following:
- Republish all modules in your environment to update them, so they use the corrections and improvements from the new version. In a production environment, this should be done with developer supervision. Typically, you should use a solution in Service Center containing all extensions and eSpaces to update all the modules at once.
Upgrading the OutSystems Platform
To execute the upgrade of the OutSystems Platform, you should follow the correspondent guide below, either you're upgrading an OutSystems Platform environment in datacenter or in the OutSystems Cloud.
- Follow the guide Upgrade OutSystems Platform in your datacenter if you're upgrading an OutSystems Platform infrastructure in your datacenter or in a third-party private cloud.
- Follow the guide Upgrade OutSystems Platform in OutSystems Cloud if you're upgrading an OutSystems Platform infrastructure in the OutSystems Cloud
Don't know which guide to follow? You can ask OutSystems Support for assistance.
Upgrading your applications
To upgrade your applications after upgrading an OutSystems Environment, please refer to the article Upgrade your application to a new OutSystems Platform version.