This article guides in how you can upgrade your OutSystems Platform to a new major or minor version. You'll be able to assess the upgrade process, understand its impacts, and plan it accordingly.
Before you start
To learn more about a specific release, check the What's New document for that version:
To assess the impact an upgrade to a new major version may have in your applications, check the Side Effects and Breaking Changes documents:
- Side Effects and Breaking Changes in OutSystems 10
- Side Effects and Breaking Changes in Platform 9.1
- Side Effects and Breaking Changes in Platform 9
- Side Effects and Breaking Changes in Version 8
- Side Effects and Breaking Changes in Version 7.0
- Side Effects and Breaking Changes in Version 6.0
Be sure to read all the documents that might impact your upgrade. For example, if you're upgrading from OutSystems Platform 8 to 10, read the breaking changes for the versions 9, 9.1, and 10.
Upgrading an environment or a set of environments to a new OutSystems Platform major release should always follow the staging lifecycle of the applications in that infrastructure. If your infrastructure has a dedicated Management Console (Lifetime) environment, then you first need to upgrade that environment, otherwise, just upgrade each environment by the order of your staging procedures. Most of our customers upgrade their environments in the same order they push their developments to Production, for example:
Development > Testing > Pre-Production > Production
But you have the freedom to choose the order that is most convenient to you and your customers. Sometimes, to best coordinate with the development teams and on-going projects, one can start with other non-production environment (.e.g., pre-production) to fully validate the applications upgrade, and then upgrade the Production environment. Only after, upgrade of the Development environment according to the development teams delivery sprints. Bottom line is, you should always upgrade and test your applications in a non-production environment before proceeding to production environment.
The overall process of upgrading an OutSystems Platform environment is:
- Upgrade the Platform Server of that environment;
- Upgrade the development tools (Development client tools in the downloads page) of developers who publish applications in the environment;
- Upgrade all applications in that environment. If you're using the Management Console (Lifetime) and it's already upgraded to the new version, you may need to upgrade your applications once, and then stage the applications across the newly upgrade environments as you move forward in the upgrade process across your staging infrastructure.
Upgrading the OutSystems Platform
To execute the upgrade of the OutSystems Platform, you should follow the correspondent guide below, either you're upgrading an OutSystems Platform environment in datacenter or in the OutSystems Cloud.
- Follow the guide Upgrade OutSystems Platform in your datacenter if you're upgrading an OutSystems Platform infrastructure in your datacenter or in a third-party private cloud.
- Follow the guide Upgrade OutSystems Platform in OutSystems Cloud if you're upgrading an OutSystems Platform infrastructure in the OutSystems Cloud
Don't know which guide to follow? You can ask OutSystems Support for assistance.
Upgrading your applications
To upgrade your applications after upgrading an OutSystems Environment, please refer to the article Upgrade your application to a new OutSystems Platform version.