AWS Direct Connect is a service that links an internal network to an AWS account, over a dedicated circuit. More specifically a standard 1-gigabit or 10-Gigabit Ethernet fiber-optic cable.
In other words, Direct Connect links a customer private network with the OutSystems PaaS over a dedicated line.
This service is intended for scenarios which require the use of high bandwidth and a steady connection without network congestion. Direct Connect is only available for OutSystems Platform Enterprise Edition.
The following diagram shows how AWS Direct Connect links the OutSystems PaaS with the customer's private network:
The above diagram exposes the direct connect topology:
- The Customer Network is connected to an AWS Direct Connect location via a dedicated link;
- Within the AWS Direct Connect location, the AWS Cage is cross-connected to the customer or partner cage;
- The AWS Direct Connect location is part of the AWS Network.
The setup of the Direct Connect service is to be executed by the customers, as the owners of the dedicated link. You can find the required configuration steps detailed on AWS Getting Started document.
There are two possible topologies for such link:
b. Customer works with a partner in the AWS Partner Network (APN) to help establish network circuits between an AWS Direct Connect location and the customer's network.
In both scenarios, this connection is managed by the customer.
The following steps are required in order to conclude the Direct Connect integration with the OutSystems PaaS:
- After establishing the link between the customer network and the AWS Direct Connect location, associate the OutSystems PaaS AWS account ID with the newly created connection. This information shall be requested by opening a support case with OutSystems;
- Create a hosted virtual interface using the account ID provided by OutSystems. In case you are under scenario 'b' , this step is performed by the AWS partner, to whom you need to provide the OutSystems PaaS AWS account ID;
- After this, submit a new support case requesting OutSystems to accept the newly created hosted connection.