AWS Direct Connect is a service that links an internal network to an AWS account, over a dedicated circuit. More specifically a standard 1-gigabit or 10-Gigabit Ethernet fiber-optic cable.
In other words, Direct Connect links a customer private network with the OutSystems PaaS over a dedicated line.
This service is intended for scenarios which require the use of high bandwidth and a steady connection without network congestion. Direct Connect is only available for OutSystems Platform Enterprise Edition.
The following diagram shows how AWS Direct Connect links the OutSystems PaaS with the customer's private network:
The above diagram exposes the direct connect topology:
- The Customer Network is connected to an AWS Direct Connect location via a dedicated link;
- Within the AWS Direct Connect location, the AWS Cage is cross-connected to the customer or partner cage;
- The AWS Direct Connect location is part of the AWS Network.
The setup of the Direct Connect service is to be executed by the customers, as the owners of the dedicated link. You can find the required configuration steps detailed on AWS Getting Started document.
There are two possible topologies for such link:
- Customer has network presence in one of AWS Direct Connect datacenters, listed in this document. This way a cross connection can be established directly in the datacenter.
- Customer works with a partner in the AWS Partner Network (APN) to help establish network circuits between an AWS Direct Connect location and the customer's network.
In both scenarios, this connection is managed by the customer.
After establishing the link, the customer will need to associate the OutSystems PaaS AWS account ID with the newly created connection. This information can be requested by opening a support case with OutSystems. After this:
- In scenario #1, a hosted virtual interface should be created using the account ID provided by OutSystems;
- In scenario #2, the customer provides the account ID to the partner, whom will create the Hosted Virtual Interface.
After this, the customer submits a new support case requesting OutSystems to accept the newly created hosted connection.