OutSystems lets you build great and secure web and mobile apps. This is what you need to get started:
- Create a free account.
- Install Development Environment.
- Start Service Studio and see the section about your first app.
We've been working on this article. Please let us know how useful this new version is by voting.
Your first app
To create your first app in Service Studio you can:
- Run a built-in interactive tutorial. In Service Studio, open the Help menu and select Build an App in 5 minutes tutorial to start and interactive tutorial.
- Follow step-by-steps tutorials. Check out the tutorials about how to create a mobile app or how to create a web app.
- Start from an existing sample app. Create a new app in Service Studio and choose Start from an app to see the collection of the prebuilt apps.
You build, edit, and debug your apps in Service Studio, using OutSystems visual language. Once you're happy how your app looks and works, publish it as a web app, progressive web app, or native mobile app. For an overview, see Choose the right app for your project.
There are several prebuilt elements that you can use to build your apps faster. For example, screen templates come with user interface and logic, and components from Forge significantly increase your app's functionality. You can also build your screens and components and share them with other developers.
You can also use OutSystems builder to prototype the front end of mobile apps or create workflows, if your product license includes these tools. With the builders you can start creating your apps without Service Studio.
With Development Environment you also get Integration Studio, for writing extensions in C#. This lets you expand the functionality of your apps and to work with any existing systems you may have.
OutSystems documentation is here to help you build, publish, maintain, and troubleshoot your apps. The section you're reading now is a good starting point — check the links in the table of content, or use the search to find something specific.
There are free online courses that teach how to use OutSystems. There are official workshops as well. If you decide, like many, to pursue a career in OutSystems low-code development, there's a certification program to help you with that.
The OutSystems community welcomes all. Join the community in the Forum, to share tips about working with OutSystems, get fresh ideas for your projects, or talk about the platform with other developers.
Articles in this Section
- Choose the right app for your project
- Learn what is the right app for your project. Know the difference between web and mobile apps in OutSystems and what to choose for your needs.
- Service Studio Overview
- Get to know the main areas of the Service Studio interface.
- Create Your First Reactive Web App
- Follow this tutorial to create and run an example Reactive Web App to manage tasks.
- Create Your First Mobile App
- Follow this tutorial to quickly create and test an example mobile app to manage tasks.
- Create Your First Traditional Web App
- Follow this tutorial to quickly create and test a Traditional Web App example to manage contacts.
- Create Apps from Application Templates
- Application Templates save time and enable you to develop applications that follow style guides and business rules, with a great look and feel — right from the start.
- Use a Forge Component Made by the Community
- Use a Forge Component made by the community in your applications and accelerate your development process while adding functionality to your apps.