When you open Service Studio to start developing your app, you must connect to an OutSystems environment. After you successfully connect, you will see the Environment tab where you can:
- Create a new application.
- Install applications and components from the OutSystems Forge.
- View and access your existing applications.
You can use the Search box in the Environment tab to find your application and modules, and also, to perform a search in the OutSystems Community. The Search box is available also on other screens, and the search scope will depend on the currently opened screen.
Once you create a new application or access an existing one, you navigate to the app detail screen:
In the app detail screen you have the following areas:
- App Details
- Here you can set the name, description, icon and bootstrap color of your application.
- Develop tab
- This is where you manage the modules of your application. You can also view the application's dependencies - other applications or components used by your application.
- Native Platforms tab
- In this area, you can test your mobile app and generate your mobile app for iOS or Android.
- Test In Browser button
- A quick way to test your application in a browser.
The workspace of Service Studio is where you design, deploy and debug the modules of your applications.
The following areas organize the workspace:
- Main Editor
- Here is where you design the interface and logic of your application.
- Application Layer tabs
- Each tab contains the elements of a specific application layer - processes, user interface, logic, and data model.
- Properties Editor
- Here you can view and set the properties of the selected element.
- Contains the tools and widgets to develop the screens and logic of your application.
- 1-Click Publish button
- Starts the deployment of your module in the environment you are connected to; if your module has errors, this operation will not be available.
- Shortcuts to the most common operations.
- Development tabs
- This area displays the following tabs:
- TrueChange tab: displays the existing errors and warnings of your module. Double-clicking a specific error or warning will take you directly to that occurrence.
- Debugger tab: use this tab to debug your application. Here you will be able to start the debugger and see the content of your variables step by step.
- 1-Click Publish tab: when you deploy your module, this area will show the progress and result of the deployment process.
- Search Results tab: lists the results of a search performed in the module. double-clicking a specific result will take you directly you to that occurrence.
- Status bar
- Displays information about the user and environment you are connected to, and the time that the module was last published.