Use the network inspector to see the network activity of your app. The user interface of the network inspector consists of a toolbar and a button that opens the screen with the network traffic details.
The network inspector is available in the debug builds created with MABS 6.0 and later. For apps built with the earlier versions of MABS, use Web Inspector in Safari.
Enabling and opening the network inspection on iOS
Here is how you can activate and open the network inspection screen on the iOS devices.
- Start the app. A permission dialog shows.
- Tap Allow in "App would like to send you notifications".
Hold three fingers on the screen for about half of a second. You can perform this gesture anywhere in the app at any time.
The network toolbar shows. Tap Network.
The network debugging is disabled by default on iOS, and you need to enable it. Tap the Settings button and activate Network Debugging option. Tap Done when you finish.
The settings button:
The debugging settings:
Finally, tap the Network button to show all requests. Tap a request to see the details.
You only need to grant the notification permission and enable the network debugging once. After that, you can use the three-finger gesture to show the toolbar.
- The requests are only added to the list after the Network Debugging option is enabled. If you see an empty list or only a few requests, restart the app and open the network requests screen again.
- Enabling the feature is only valid for that app in that particular device. A fresh install of the app requires that you set the permissions again and turn on the network debugging.
- Dismissing the notification prompt can affect the behavior of the app if it uses notifications for other purposes.
- The network inspector feature is available in the following types of native builds: the development build for iOS and the debug build for Android.
The network inspection on Android
The target OS for the network inspection screen is iOS. The feature is available on Android as well, but keep in mind the following:
- On Android the app needs the overlay permission to show the network toolbar. Turn on the option Allow display over other apps.
- Resources that are loaded by the WebView are not visible on the Android screen. We recommend using Chrome to view all requests.
- A device may already be using the three-finger gesture for a built-in action. Check the gesture settings on the device and try turning off the gesture before using the network inspector.