The translation editor lets you translate text and manage your translation directly from Service Studio. To open the editor go to the Data > right-click the Multilingual Locales folder > click Edit Translations.
Translation editor also opens when you add a new translation language.
These instructions are part of the technical preview for translating Reactive Web and Mobile Apps. See Technical Preview: Multilingual apps for more information.
Once you open the translation editor, you can:
- Translate text by entering the translation in the Translation in (language code) column (1).
- Switch languages for translation by selecting the language code in the heading of the Translation in (language code) column (2).
- Set text as translatable / non-translatable by selecting one of the options in the Behavior list (3). See
- Filter and search the text by using the tools in the Filter section of the translation editor (4). With the translation window open, select an element in the screen, and then click the button with the arrow icon to show that element in the editor.
- Navigate to a text in the module by double-clicking a Text field, to see the text in the context.
- See the translation progress, as it shows in the Statistics section (5).
If a translatable text has no translation, the app shows the text in the default language of the app (en-US).
Translatable and non-translatable text
Use the Behavior column in the translation editor to set the as text as translatable or non-translatable:
|Behavior||Translation shows in UI||Exported|
Here are notes with more information:
- When you set the text as Translate, you tell to Service Studio that the text is translatable. You need to supply the translation for the text, otherwise the app shows the original text.
- If you set text as Don't translate, Service Studio treats it as non-translatable. The app shows the original text for the non-translatable text even if you supply the translation. This is useful if you want to protect text like brand name, product name, or strings with special purpose in your app.
- If the text is Not defined, Service Studio hasn't got information how the text should show in the app. For the purposes of optimization, the app shows the original text even if you supply the translation. To show the translation, set the Behavior to Translate. To protect the text, set it to Don't translate.
- For more information about exporting text for translation see Translation management.
Service Studio automatically sets as translatable the following text:
- Screen titles
- Button labels
- Text in the screens
If you experience issues with this technical preview, let us know by posting a new question with the technical preview tag in Forums.