OutSystems apps consists of Modules joined by an Application Template. Application Templates make development efficient because the apps based on them contain many predefined elements. For example, the apps have Theme, CSS, Layouts, Blocks, and logic.
Types of Application Templates
There are three types of Application Templates, based on how they are created and distributed:
- Built-in Application Templates
- Custom Application Templates
- Forge Application Templates
Built-in Application Templates
The built-in Application Templates are created and maintained by OutSystems. Here are some of the templates.
- Reactive Web Application Template: Reactive Web App
- Mobile Application Templates: Phone, Tablet
- Traditional Web Application Template
The apps created from one of the built-in Application Templates inherit the features from OutSystems UI Framework and enable you to use:
- OutSystems Theme, with predefined CSS styles.
- Layout Blocks, with content placeholders.
- Patterns, with user interface design patterns.
- Optional components for richer user experience.
- Screen Templates, for creating Screens that contain logic and sample data.
Custom Application Templates
These are Application Templates you create, based on the UI framework of the source Application Template. The document Create a Custom Application Template explains how to create these templates.
Forge Application Templates
These are Application Templates provided by the OutSystems Community and shared at Forge.