Before generating your mobile app for the first time, you will have to configure specific iOS and/or Android settings. Check the topics listed at the end of this page for details about different scenarios, such as development tests, distributing your app to a limited group of end-users or publishing your app in Mobile App Stores.
The following sections show how to configure and generate iOS and Android application packages of your mobile apps in Service Studio or in Service Center.
For additional information about generating and distributing iOS and Android application packages, see More Information on Generating and Distributing Mobile Apps.
Configure and Generate a Mobile App Package in Service Studio
To configure or generate your mobile app package (iOS or Android) in Service Studio, do the following:
- Navigate to the app detail screen of your mobile app;
- Select the Native Platforms tab;
- When configuring your mobile app for the first time for a given platform (iOS or Android), click on the Configure iOS App or Configure Android App button, according to the platform. Follow the configuration steps for you desired scenario, described in the topics listed at the end of this page. If you have previously defined your mobile app's iOS or Android configuration settings, click on the cog icon for the correct platform to change your configuration;
After defining or changing your mobile app iOS or Android settings, click on the Generate App button.
Configure and Generate a Mobile App Package in Service Center
To configure or generate your mobile app package (iOS or Android) in Service Center, do the following:
- Open the Service Center console of the environment (
https://<environmentdomain>/ServiceCenter) and navigate to Factory;
- Click on the Applications tab, open your mobile application from the applications list and select the Native Platforms tab;
- To configure your mobile app package for the first time or to change the current configuration for a given platform (iOS or Android), click on the Configure link for the iOS or Android entry. Follow the configuration steps for you desired scenario, described in the topics listed at the end of this page;
- After defining or changing your mobile app iOS or Android settings, click on the Save button;
Click Generate and wait a few moments while your mobile app is being generated.
Customizing the Mobile App Domain Name
In some cases you might need to change the domain name associated with your mobile app, like when you have internal security policies dictating that different mobile apps should have different associated domain names and SSL certificates.
You can customize the domain name for each mobile app in Service Center. By default, OutSystems uses the hostname set for the environment in Administration > Environment Configuration.
Note: The domain name set for your mobile app should match the Common Name (CN) or a Subject Alternative Name (SAN) specified in the SSL certificate you have configured in your web server for serving HTTPS requests.
To define a different domain name for your mobile app, do the following:
In Native Platforms tab, click the Change link in the Domain Name column.
Enter the new domain name for the mobile app and click Apply.
You will need to regenerate the mobile app for the changes to take effect.
Customizing the Mobile App Version Code
The mobile app version code is an internal number associated to the generation of the mobile app package. This number is used by the app store to determine whether one version is more recent than another. See more detailed information in Android and iOS documentation.
By default, OutSystems increments the version code by one every time the mobile app package is generated.
In some cases you might need to change the default mobile app version code. For example, if you are migrating an existing mobile app from other technology to OutSystems, the current version code of your app in the app store will be higher than the first OutSystems app version code. In this case, you can the set version code of your OutSystems mobile app to a different value.
To set a different version code for your mobile app, do the following:
In Native Platforms tab, click the Change link in the Code column for the iOS or Android entry.
Enter the new code for the mobile app and click Apply.
The next time you generate a new application package, the version code will be incremented by one.
Updating Your Mobile App Package
In most occasions, the users of your mobile app will not have to update it manually after installing it in their devices, since OutSystems will automatically push the updates to their devices when you publish a new mobile app version.
However, in some situations the users will have to install a new mobile app package. For more information check Mobile App Update Scenarios.
Articles in this Section
- Generate and Distribute Your Mobile App for Development Tests
- Learn how to generate a mobile app package for test purposes and also how to share it so others can also test.
- Generate and Distribute Your Mobile App to a Limited Group of End-Users
- Generate a production mobile app package for your mobile app to distribute to a group of selected end-users.
- Generate and Publish Your Mobile App to the Mobile App Stores
- Generate a mobile app package for your mobile app to publish in the App Store and Google Play stores. Distribute your mobile app directly to your company's end-users, if you enrolled in the Apple Enterprise Developer Program.
- More Information on Generating and Distributing Mobile Apps
- In this article you can find more information about tasks associated with generating and publishing iOS and Android mobile apps.